Friday, October 22, 2010

Back to my roots and starting with rabbits.

So the older I get the more I feel the urge inside to plant my roots in the country, only problem is I am living in the city. So I decided to plant a garden, start a compost heap, and show, breed and sell rabbits from my city home.
The funny thing is the only thing doing really well right now is my compost heap!
I got a beautiful mini rex female and the lady I obtained her from told me a lot of 4-H kids buy from her to show. A light bulb went off in my head, that's it. I can get the kids in 4-H and we can show rabbits.
Shortly after that I obtained two lionhead rabbits, that I obviously paid to much for. I drove 3 hours for a mean holland lop that is supposed to be bred, but has yet to produce babies 4 weeks later. hahaha
I got lost trying to buy another mini rex male, finally found the place but it took me 2 hours. Last but not least I acquired 6! free rabbits! and guess what 5 are male! So now i have a total of 12 rabbits, 8 males, 1 supposedly pregnant meanie, a hopefully pregnant mini rex, and some other. So all in all I am off to a Horrible start.
I have researched and looked all over the internet and found wonderful information, spent lots of money on cages and even traded things for cages (which came with more male rabbits), and have invested 300 in all my aspirations. Now it's time to just get organized.
I contacted a wonderful woman in 4-H, and found on the ARBA website (www.arba.com) all the rabbit shows available in my area (OH, IN). As we get ready to show our rabbits, I still need to learn what to take, how to tattoo, and so much. Excitedly overwhelmed we are ready for our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment