Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The babies are here!

The pregnant rabbit that I wasn't so sure was pregnant was really pregnant. She had he babies at 3:15 pm on Oct 25, 2010.
Funny thing is she wasn't prepared and neither were we. We cleaned all the cages the night before, and didn't put the nesting box back in the cage. I read somewhere they take out there fur to nest, but she wasn't doing that so we didn't bother putting it back in. Well, my husband went to get something for dinner, and informed me that our freezer in the garage was completely thawed, so we had to unload all our food and start cooking it to refreeze it. Then he yelled Ummm there's an emergency...so i ran out there thinking someone was hurt, but it was BABIES!
I have to say I was truly the happiest rabbit owner around, they were the cutest ugliest naked babies I'd ever seen.
We were scared because they were very cold, so we brought the babies and mom inside from the garage, and warmed them up. I was frantic thinking she wouldn't be a good mom, but when I checked on her today, she had made a nice little nest out of fur in her nesting box. The babies were sooo warm.
Things I learned from this experience, never second guess a pregnancy in rabbits. Always put the nesting box in around the time they are due. It is okay to touch domestic rabbit babies, because it helps them become good pets. Mother rabbits only feed there babies once a day, so don't get worried. I thought she wasn't going to be a good mom, but she is very nurturing.
Our rabbitry is taking off, I had to give 3 males away, because I just didn't have the space. I was able to  sell two lionheads, and one american female, so I am making some money. So I was down to 6 rabbits, but now we have 5 new babies. We are excited to watch them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment