Monday, November 8, 2010

Baby Update

Unfortunately we lost one of the babies...it would have to be my favorite one of course. It crawled out of the nesting box and froze over night. I have to say it's amazing because I cried when we caught a mouse in a trap that didn't die right away and I sobbed like a baby because it was suffering, but I didn't cry about the rabbit. I guess I'm getting to the point where I realize it's just how life works.

Yes it might be gross, but I let my three year old pet the dead baby, because he was curious and wanted to hold the poor bunny. That all stopped when he gave it a bath, and washed him in my tub...ewww. Then the bunny had to go. LOL.

Also, to all those of you who are interested in raising rabbits or getting into any type of hobby, make sure you follow your gut. I had a lady interested in my blue baby, and I found out she raised holland lops as well. We got to talking and I asked if she would be interested in trading my rabbit for one of her baby rabbits. She said no because she had got burned before, but then she wanted to trade two of her rabbits for my doe and all the babies except one. Well it sounded good because she raises them for show, but I wasn't sure because my gut said NO!

Well long story short come to find out she wanted to trade me a female that just lost all her babies, and she changed her mind when she found out my rabbit has some really great colors in her line. So thank goodness for Janice the 4-H lady who said keep my doe if I like her colors, and I do so I'm keeping her.

I am expecting more babies from the Lionhead this week, and hopefully my Mini Rex, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment